[nSLUG] Local connectivity (Was mandrake RPMs/urpmi -- best source?)

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Tue Jan 6 15:08:03 AST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:41:18PM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:

>  What's Eastlink's uplink speed these days?  I seem to get ~600kB/s down,
> and ~60kB/s up from/to Dal.  I'm guessing that the upload bandwidth is
> 512kb/s...  Didn't it used to be better?  At least I can't complain about
> the download speed :)

I suspect it may be due to attempting to manage p2p traffic, since most
ISPs that only cater to consumers see to buy/budget for asymmetric
traffic patterns models that p2p break.

Of course I think inteligent consumers should go back to an end-node
model of Internet rather than the Disney/AOL/Time-Warner model distribution
model of the way they wished the Internet works, consumers should ask for
symmetric routing. Crazy thought I know, like when sites has 64 or 128kbps
symmetric lines (ISDN or Frame Relay) in the good old days.