[nSLUG] no networking

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Tue Jan 6 15:01:30 AST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:08:10AM -0400, Bill Davidson wrote:
> On January 6, 2004 10:23 am, M Taylor wrote:
> > It appears to be a slightly infrequent but possibly persisent bug in the
> > kernel (from 2.4.5 to at least 2.4.22) that affects various NICs
> > (via_rhine, 3com 3c????, and several cases of Realtek 8139 series).
> > The issue has to do with either power management (APCI) or APIO I think.
>
> I did a little googling on this, too, and also found a lot of references,
> especially with early 2.4 kernels.  The tulip driver seemed to produce this
> problem a lot as well.  I didn't see any references to ACPI, but I did see a
> lot of references to APIC's, (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller)

Ah, I transposed the letters in my frustration. Which means I did try to
disable the wrong kernel feature (apci rather than apic).

I am running the SMP kernel due it the system being a P4 with hyper
threading and my limited (mis)understanding is that later SMP in 2.4
kernels makes use of HT. Perhaps I'm wrong.

> Well if the reinstall fixed it then I guess that's that, although I am
> curious about what went wrong.  Say, you wouldn't mind breaking it again so
> we could fool around with it some more, would you?

I should have some free disk space, so when I get some free time I will
try to reinstall and investgate further.