[nSLUG] no networking

Bill Davidson bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Tue Jan 6 11:21:05 AST 2004

On January 6, 2004 10:23 am, M Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:15:32PM -0400, bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca wrote:
> > So this seems to be a problem with the eth0 device.  The message (in your
> > other post) about "NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 transmit timed out" comes from
> > net/sched/sch_generic.c in function dev_watchdog(), as follows:
>
> It appears to be a slightly infrequent but possibly persisent bug in the
> kernel (from 2.4.5 to at least 2.4.22) that affects various NICs
> (via_rhine, 3com 3c????, and several cases of Realtek 8139 series).
> The issue has to do with either power management (APCI) or APIO I think.

I did a little googling on this, too, and also found a lot of references,
especially with early 2.4 kernels.  The tulip driver seemed to produce this
problem a lot as well.  I didn't see any references to ACPI, but I did see a
lot of references to APIC's, (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller)
especially on smp kernels.  Some said booting with noapic would fix the
problem.  I notice you are (were?) using an smp kernel -- is it a
multi-processor machine, or are you just being hopeful?

It also seems that sometimes linux NIC drivers get the line characteristics
wrong, so set FD when it should be HD or something.  I recall a discussion
here not long ago where someone was having similar problems (not identical,
not reference to NETDEV WATCHDOG) even though another OS worked OK on the sae
hardware.  Turned out he had a wrong cable type (xover instead of
straight-thru or vice-versa) and the other OS's driver corrected for it, but
the linux driver didn't (I think he was getting a lot of framing errors).  Or
something like that (waves hands vaguely...).

> Since I didn't have a spare NIC and that is my main home access to the
> Internet I didn't spend too much time isolating the problem and reinstalled
> my linux distribution.

Well if the reinstall fixed it then I guess that's that, although I am
curious about what went wrong.  Say, you wouldn't mind breaking it again so
we could fool around with it some more, would you?

Bill Davidson