[nSLUG] no networking

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Tue Jan 6 10:23:59 AST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:15:32PM -0400, bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca wrote:
> Hi:
>
> > It's running the 2.4.22-686-smp kernel (from testing I believe)
> > is using a Realtek 3189 onboard NIC, and gets all its knowhow from
>
> Is the NIC driver loaded?  Try lsmod to see what driver is being used.
> Does dmesg show anything interesting about the card or networking?
> What about ifconfig?  Do you see TX/RX packets, errors, etc?

Ah, kernel module loaded, (mii, 8139too). The only output to dmesg
or /var/log/syslog are bog standard except for the error message.

> > There are some error messages about 'NETDEV: eth0 sending timeout' I think
> > it is, but I don't know if this is an accidential symption or a bona fide
>
> So this seems to be a problem with the eth0 device.  The message (in your
> other post) about "NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 transmit timed out" comes from
> net/sched/sch_generic.c in function dev_watchdog(), as follows:

It appears to be a slightly infrequent but possibly persisent bug in the
kernel (from 2.4.5 to at least 2.4.22) that affects various NICs
(via_rhine, 3com 3c????, and several cases of Realtek 8139 series).
The issue has to do with either power management (APCI) or APIO I think.
Since I didn't have a spare NIC and that is my main home access to the
Internet I didn't spend too much time isolating the problem and reinstalled
my linux distribution.