[nSLUG] The 'desktop user' and system maintenance

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Wed Apr 21 14:40:05 ADT 2004

I agree that Debian scores well for having community support.
That is something I could not locate for Suse, for example,
but makes the weirdness of Gentoo liveable.  Is there
a user forum rather than a mailing list available for Debian?
Xandros has a user forum too.

I can see using Debian for a desktop system, assuming the
user has an interest in learning something about Debian.
But if all they want to do is develop code, or surf, etc.,
and all of their efforts must be concentrated on this then
I don't see the advantage of suggesting Debian for others.

One neat thing about Xandros is that if the user is advanced
and wants to go beyond Xandros, they can drop down to the
Debian level and leave Xandros behind.  Its kinda like
a Transformer distro, but chances are that the transformation
is a one way ticket (e.g. if their KDE is removed, or if their
kernel sources and initrd are not used).  I was glad to have
this option for the handful of power users involved.

I have a couple of young kids that are becoming mouse users.
I've been debating how to introduce them to Linux as
they get older.  One idea was to have them start with
something like Redhat 3 on an old PC - so they could learn
Linux in a historical fashion just as many of us have.
But I'll take a look at Debian Jr and see what it offers.

--Donald Teed