[nSLUG] Picking/tailoring the right distro for a laptop

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Apr 21 11:13:02 ADT 2004

Lest I be accused of hacking up your nice post and just object to the first
statement without reading the rest ... ;)

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 12:03:35AM -0300, Donald Teed wrote:
> Picking a distro for desktop users on laptops is different
> than this.  You can cut yourself with a Swiss Army Knife,
> and you can shoot yourself in the foot fairly easily with
> something like Gentoo or Debian (very easily in Gentoo).
> And yet I use Gentoo at home.

I can't speak for the current "state of Debian on the laptop" as I really
don't have the experience.  Maybe you've found it is not just there yet, and
something else works better.  If so, that's great.  I don't insist that the
whole world use Debian, and acknowledge that some user needs aren't given
the attention yet that they ought to have.

This is not a "Debian is not good for desktop users" problem, however.  It
is fairly well known that the proprietary world of laptop wierdness is a
bugger to provide solutions for, and thus it really needs a Custom Debian
Distribution specifically tailored for it.  Debian could be the first choice
for laptops if some developers took it upon themselves to make it so.  If
you otherwise like Debian, yet you find it lagging behind other distros in
the laptop department, why not see if you can help move such an effort
forward?

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org