[nSLUG] video card again

Réjean Chamberland laudire2you at gosympatico.ca
Mon Mar 31 23:35:34 AST 2003

 Hi everyone, it's me again!
I have tried to install Mandrake 9.0 with a S3 Trio 3D/2X video card without success (even if it is supported) for about 2 weeks, installing, uninstalling and reinstalling. Then I tried it with a Cirrus Logic card and it worked just fine. I've used the machine for about 2 weeks without any graphic problems. This morning I switched the 2 cards and I  cannot start X.
I used XFdrake and tried several different settings and each time I did the test and I could see some graphic (only vertical color lines, no penguins ). However, when I typed 'start x' I got the following message:

If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
    Newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
    reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18-23mdkentreprise i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: “/var/log/XFree86.0.log”, Time: Sun Mar  30 12:32:31 2003
(==) Using config file: “/etc/X11/XF86Config-4”
Using vt 7
(EE) No devices detected.
Fatal server error:
No screens found

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
The full server output, not just the last message.
This can be found in the log file “/var/log/XFree86.0.log”.
Please report problems to xfree86 at xfree86.org.

XIO:   fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server “:0.0”
           After 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

After I reinstalled the Cirrus Logic video card everything was back to normal. I should add that I have Windoze 98 SE installed on one of the two hard drives and the SE Trio 3D/2D video card works just beautifully. I would rather have the 3D card on for both Mandrake and Win 98. Would anyone have a solution, or at least point me to a site where I could find one?
P.S. I should add that while I was attempting to figure out the S3 card I noticed that at one point during the long list at startup I could see a message saying:

free space for </> is only <9450> ("or so. It went all the way down to just over 3000 within 5 reboots or so") which is inferior to <20000>      FAILED.

So I reinstalled Mandrake when I switch cards. I don't think this has anything to do with the video card but since I hadn't noticed it while I was using the Cirrus card I thought I would explain why I decided to reinstall.
Thanks in advance,
Rejean Chamberland
laudire at ns.sympatico.ca