[nSLUG] Snort doesn't on debian sparc

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Mar 29 13:51:00 AST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 08:57, Donald Teed wrote:
> On 28 Mar 2003, Ben Armstrong wrote:
>
> > Hm.  I think you don't need to go any further than the Debian bug
> > database:
> >
> > 	http://bugs.debian.org/snort
> >
> > And in particular:
> >
> > 	http://bugs.debian.org/102772
>
> I did try the bugs page from the snort package description web page
> and it only listed a couple of items - none of the dozens that were
> on the page you have located.

I don't understand.  What do you mean by the "snort package description"
web page?  The only one I know of for debian is this one:

	http://packages.debian.org/snort

This links to three pages (one for stable, testing, and unstable) and
each of those pages in turn links to the page I mentioned above.
However, there are some related bug pages linked from this page for
different binary packages built from the same "snort" source package, is
this what you mean?  Still, there is only one "snort" bug page.  The
Debian BTS (Bug Tracking System) does not distinguish between "source
bug page" and "binary bug page".  That is, there is a single bug page
per package name (whether source or binary).

> There is a massive difference between the package bugs page and the
> source package bug page.  In reality many of these bugs are
> going to be shared.  Well, now I know to look in both places.

Your first course of action upon discovering a bug within a given
distribution's package should be to visit the distribution's bug page
for that package (if one exists -- I know Debian has these, but I don't
know about other distributions) to see if the bug is listed there.  In
Debian this page is always http://bugs.debian.org/{packagename}.

The confusion over the actual name of the package, which doesn't always
match the name of the program with the bug, can be resolved by locating
the file within the package.  On Debian, dpkg -S {filepath} can be used
to locate the package an installed file is in if you are unsure.  To
locate a file in a package that isn't installed yet, use apt-file search
{filepath}.  You must install apt-file separately, as it is not
installed along with apt-get.  Simply "apt-file update" as root to
refresh the Contents listings before doing an apt-file search.

<tangent>

As well, be aware that several packages may provide a single file
through the "alternatives" system, which uses symbolic links to choose
the preferred package providing the file.  In fact, a given file may
only belong to one installed package at a time, or else the packages
must conflict, which prevents the packages containing the same file(s)
from being both installed at the same time.  But update-alternatives can
be used to point a symlink at one of several alternatives (each with
unique names).  So, for instance, while the packages mozilla-browser and
mozilla-browser-snapshot in the unstable distribution both provide the
symlink into the alternatives system called /usr/bin/mozilla, the actual
filenames provided by these packages are /usr/bin/mozilla-1.3 and
/usr/bin/mozilla-snapshot respectively.  The alternatives system decides
which one is installed by default according to the priorities assigned
to each alternative.  You can choose an alternative other than the
default by running update-alternatives --config mozilla.

</tangent>

Ben
--
Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>