[nSLUG] Gateway

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Mar 29 09:49:21 AST 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Lewis House wrote:

> Hey all,
> Ok i got an old server from ebay a Compaq proliant 805r, 2 - PPro 200,
> 256megs ram, 2 - 4.3gig scsi hot swap hd's, 2 nics. What i want to do is
> make it a gateway or router i guess. Slackware 9.0 is freshly installed on
> it now and it detects both nics. This is my setup i have.
>
> Windows Comp ( WinXP pro)  ---> Compaq Server (Slack 9.0) ------> p75 laptop
> (debian 2.1)
>
> The windows box is the connection to the internet and is sharing with ics. i
> do this because of living in the woods i have dialup and have a crappy
> winmodem.

You might want to have a look at some of the Courier modems up for sale on
ebay (avoid the I-Modems, though, as they're ISDN). You should be able to
get way better performance from a courier than a winmodem... :-)

> The server has no problem using the internet through the windows
> box, what i want to do is be able to connect to the internet through the
> laptop.  its probably an unorthodox setup but thats the way its setup.
>
> Windows  Comp 192.168.0.1
> Compaq Server 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.1.1
> Laptop 192.168.1.1

OK, that should work fine. What you want to do is set up iptables to do
masquerading. Probably your best bet, if you can't find an obvious
slackware package to do it, is to go to freshmeat.net and do a search for
iptables. Pick a firewalling package that looks easy enough to handle and
try installing it.

Also the Linux HOWTO docs are quite useful; if I recall correctly, on
slackware they're in /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs, with mini-howtos in
/usr/doc/Linux-mini-HOWTOs. You might be able to fish out a recipe from
there to get you up and running.

> I have read some stuff about multihomed boxes but cant make heads or tails
> of it. i can ping between both windows comp and compaq server, but the
> second nic in the box 192.168.1.1 and the laptop dont wanna seem to connect.

OK... you'll need to set up a DHCP server on the proliant and set it up to
serve the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. If you install the slackware dhcpd
package there's a sample dhcpd.conf that gets installed. You might also
want to install a DNS server such as bind, which will also need
configuring.

Sounds like you're on the right track, though. Good luck :-)

Cheers... Dop.