[nSLUG] Apache Authentication Problem

Vikram vikram at popgen.org
Wed Mar 26 13:11:48 AST 2003

Hello all

I am trying to setup restricted password protected access to a few
directories on my apache server.  I did following:

1. Created a password file with the "htpasswd" utility for the people whom I
wish to give access to the protected directory
2. Created following entries in the "httpd.conf" file

<Directory "/var/www/html/secret">

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Files"
AuthUserFile /path_to_the_password_file_I_created_above/passwords
require user webuser

Saved httpd.conf and restarted httpd service.

Now when I try to access the secret directory, my browser prompts for
password again and again, it's not being able to authenticate me.  If I hit
cancel, I get the usual authentication required error.

Any clues as to where I may have goofed up?

Thank you.

Greetings // Vikram