[nSLUG] General Linux Question

Rory Bray rory at vudu.nb.ca
Mon Mar 24 09:22:40 AST 2003

<snip>
> No misunderstanding about what make does.  I've followed whatever
> instructions that come with the code.  If they say use ./configure,
> I do it, and I can see it is testing the compiler, libraries, etc.
> Usually the configure step ensures the application will compile,
> but that is only a part of the battle.
>
> I have several experiences trying to make package X work
> with Redhat or Debian from sources.
>
> In the typical attempt from my experience, I wanted to have one
> database server listening on the typical port, or have one particular
> version of PHP linked in with Apache.  That can be tricky to do when
> the package typically installs under /usr/local/packagename in all
> documentation, and something like Redhat puts some executables in /bin,
some
> more stuff in /usr/lib, some more stuff in /usr/share, and so on.
> You read the instructions from the package vendor and they refer to
> files under /usr/local/packagename.  When running that application
> has problems, you wonder how the package provided with the
> Linux distro could have left many files in various locations (/var,
> /etc, deep under /etc/somewhere, etc.) which might still be having
> some impact.  You might also find troubleshooting resources
> mentioned by the package vendor don't exist, or the way the
> software is configured is done by a different file from linux
> distro to linux distro.  Heck, even modules.conf is a file that
> should not be edited directly in Debian - a very different way to
> treat the file than in Redhat.
>
> One time, in Redhat 8, I managed to completely screw up Perl in my
> attempts to go backwards one version with mod_perl using source
> from perl website and Apache.  I know I don't completely understand
> the layout of the files under /usr/lib/perl but I could see that the
> result of my compiling efforts was to install newer versions of
> only some files in target directories effected there.  The symptoms
> of the botched perl install were bogus errors running perl code, such
> as flagging errors in any perl code subroutine defined with a parameter
list.

> I wasn't able to back out the changes to the system by reinstalling
> perl packages with --force and rpm.  Rpm also prevented me from
> uninstalling perl.  Manipulating the file system so that a forced
> install would give me a fresh /usr/lib/perl didn't help either.
> I found it was quicker to reinstall with Redhat 7.3 than reverse
> engineer what screw ups existed in the system.
>
> I could see why there were people who had sworn off Redhat.
>
> > So the point is, ALL distros are capable of configuring, compiling, and
> > running packages from source tarballs.  I really don't see what the
> > problem is.  Either your distro supplies the package as a binary and you
> > can upgrade to the latest version, or they don't and you can install
from
> > source and configure it any way you want.  Or you get the pre-configured
> [...]

This is why I appreciate Slackware so much.   It's part of the "Slackware
way" to follow the original build pattern for each software package as much
as possible.  I've always had better success download, building and using
original source distributions on Slack.

Now, Mike T's points about my recommendation are quite valid, and many
newbies could care less about downloading and installing packages not
included in the Linux Distro or in a ports collection.  However, following
the original source builds does alleviate, at least to a limited degree, the
need for a ports collection.