[nSLUG] Re: General Linux Question

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Mar 24 02:45:59 AST 2003

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 04:27:21PM -0500, bulia byak wrote:
> Moreover, I found many very good programs whose analogs I never used on
Windows. Take music for example. On Windows, you either pay up big bucks for
professional soft (which I won't do because I'm not a professional, I just
like to play with toys), or you have to delve in the dirty pile of
"shareware" with its pushy marketing attitude, flashy but unusable GUI,
loads of spyware, and a good chance that a new app will freeze the system or
break something else. Now on linux, I found tons of nifty little apps, all
free, with straightforward unobtrusive interface (often controllable from
command line) and a clean idea of what they do and what they don't do. They
are small but solid bricks (software synths, effect processors, sequencers
etc.) from which I can build my own buildings for hours of fun. It's really
very rewarding, and I've learned more about computer music in a year of
Linux than in a lifetime on Windows.

 Could you mention some of the good audio/music software you found?  At
CKDU (community radio station), we want to set up an audio workstation
running GNU/Linux, but I'm no expert on what's available.  We've played with
audacity some, but it's not wonderful.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y