[nSLUG] General Linux Question

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Mar 23 20:39:31 AST 2003

Quoting Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca>:

> > So, I have another question for you all. How were your first
> > experiences with Linux?

I put off using linux as long as possible.  At work I have been using
unix since the early ATT and BSD releases.  I really enjoyed using
NeXT systems, so got one for home.  When my wife discarded a 486 I
installed redhat and used it as an NFS server for the NeXT.  Then
I got Mandrake when it was the first to have a new release of teTeX
that I was installing at work. Now I use SGI and Sun at work,
and have Mandrake configured to match that environment (ksh on one
machine, bash configured to act like ksh on the other) and find I
can run the redhat port of the NASA package I use at work just fine
under Mandrake 9.0 at home.  At work there are redhat and SUSE systems.
Many of the differences between distros are being smoothed out in the
latest versions because vendors realize the differences were hindering
wider adoption of linux.  I find that current linux systems still suffer
from bugs under heavy image-processing loads as well as the bottlenecks
of the PC architecture.  We should know soon if SGI's new linux systems
have overcome the hardware bottlenecks, and people are working hard to
make linux more robust under pressure.

> Gnu Emacs, some upgrades and added tarballs have compiled and run with
> only occasional episodes of beat-head-on-wall, e.g. a bug in the ALSA
> sound package that is only active if you compile with one of the debug
> options.  :-)

GNU emacs and xmacs just don't work well on current SGI systems.
I prefer jEdit, which runs well on most current platforms.  It uses
XML to configure syntax highlighting, and is very extensible, but
don't try it on older hardware.

--
George White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>