[nSLUG] General Linux Question

bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Sun Mar 23 14:00:21 AST 2003

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, M Taylor wrote:

> b) you are on your own to ensure your computer system's security,

Isn't that true for most systems?

> c) I would hate to maintain several Slackware boxes in production usage
> because of its lack of package management,

What's so hard about "upgradepkg"?  Sure, it's primitive compared to apt
and friends, but it's not that hard to monitor slackware-current and use
the package tool to upgrade.

Just lately I've been using dropline-gnome, and they have a nice little
slackware-compatible installer.  It's a shell script, and I've been
thinking it might not be too hard to modify to use for slackware in
general, if I ever get enough time to look at it.

Bill Davidson