[nSLUG] General Linux Question

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Sun Mar 23 12:20:26 AST 2003

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 11:21:51AM -0400, Rory Bray wrote:
> If you're concerned about standard locations for apps and ease of getting
> things to work, you might try Slackware.

"Standard" file locations seem to be more opinion that fact. FHS is
used by RH and Debian, and they are certainly different layouts, but
honestly I've never lost any sleep over file layout.

> I think the reason it works so well (and I'm honestly not trolling for a
> flamewar) is that it's the most BSD-like of the Linux distros.

Except a) you can't follow a CVS -release or -current to stay up
to day, b) you are on your own to ensure your computer system's security,
c) I would hate to maintain several Slackware boxes in production usage
because of its lack of package management, d) it doesn't have anything
as slick as "ports" for additional software.

Slackware IMHO is for those who want to go back to SunOS (/BSD 4.4) or SysV.
Thanks, but no thanks. :) Rory knows more than enough, so I wouldn't try
to suggest he switch, but I politely disagree with his recommendation of
Slackware for those new to Linux.