[nSLUG] debian package questions

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Sat Mar 22 22:18:21 AST 2003

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 08:32:13PM -0800, Kevin MacDonald wrote:
> Samba recommends version 2.2.8 which I thought was a stable release. If I
> want to run apt-get to get the newest stable release (which I thought was
> 2.2.8) is the command "apt-get upgrade" ? Which is what I ran but does not
> give what I expected.

The Debian 3.0 (woody) distribution is "stable" which means
that is will resist breaking production systems when you apply
updates. This is a good thing, but what it means is that security
patches, are "back-ported" or applied back to the version used in woody,
2.2.3a rather than the current package version, 2.2.8 in this case.
This is done so that any new features or other changes from between
2.2.3a and 2.2.8 do not break running system when you apply a security
(or serious bug) fix.

Does that make any sense?