[nSLUG] debian package questions

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Mar 22 10:59:51 AST 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Kevin MacDonald wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm just wondering how the versions work with Debian upgrade paths. I'm
> running ver3 and I ran apt-get to upgrade/update my version of samba to fix
> the security hole and it went to 2.2.3a-12.1. I noticed that there is a
> 2.2.8 version as well. I believe the 2.2.3a-12.1 fixes the security problem
> but is 2.2.3a the equivelent of 2.2.8.

In the stable version of Debian, security fixes tend to get backported
rather than replacing the current version with the new, possibly unstable
version. If you want the bleeding edge, try the testing or unstable
versions.

Also, you might want to install the apt-listchanges package, which lists
all the changes in the changelog before updating a package.

Cheers... Dop.