[nSLUG] debian package questions

Kevin MacDonald kevin at herald.ns.ca
Sat Mar 22 00:15:29 AST 2003

Hello,

I'm just wondering how the versions work with Debian upgrade paths. I'm
running ver3 and I ran apt-get to upgrade/update my version of samba to fix
the security hole and it went to 2.2.3a-12.1. I noticed that there is a
2.2.8 version as well. I believe the 2.2.3a-12.1 fixes the security problem
but is 2.2.3a the equivelent of 2.2.8. I guess I'm wondering why the apt-get
update or upgrade did not put me to 2.2.8. I'm not really sure how the
upgrade or update procedures work, so any information would be appreciated.

thanks for any help,

Kevin