[nSLUG] Mandrake 9.0 same problem

Réjean Chamberland laudire2you at gosympatico.ca
Fri Mar 21 14:17:27 AST 2003

From: Donald Teed <dteed at artistic.ca>
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:50:28 -0400 (AST)
> To: nslug at nslug.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [nSLUG] Mandrake 9.0 same problem
>
> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, [ISO8859_1] Réjean Chamberland wrote:
>

> What do you mean by "no go"?  It isn't supported?

What I meant is that although it is said to be supported it doesn't work on my computer anyway.
> The most important thing to have supported for X Windows is
> the video card.  You need to have a driver available which
> will handle your video card or you can't put one pixel up there.
> The monitor will be supported as long as it is VGA or SVGA - you
> just have to tweak the configuration to get the
> best resolution, frequency and color depth your monitor can handle.
>

> What is the error when you run startx?

The error message is different than it was when I tried to install Mandrake 8.0. In Mandrake 9.0 it says:
xauth: error while loading shared library: libXmuu.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

> Your configuration file is likely in /etc/X11/XF86Config (add a -4 to
> that name if you have version 4 of XFree86).  What did you use
> to configure the X11 setup before?  I thought you were able to
> get that done and have X up at one point in the past.

What I used I cannot remember but it was when I installed Mandrake 7.1 It was during the installation and I don't think it had a name. You have to remember that I must have tried installing 4 different versions of Mandrake at least 50 times all together.
After the installation and I have rebooted as root I use either XFdrake or Xdrakers which look and work just about the same.

> The video card should be no question in the configuration.  The monitor
> should be something you start off as a conservative setting if you
> are having problems getting it to work.  Try 640x480 for example.

My monitor has an horizontal refreshing rate of 30-55 Khz and a vertical of 50-120Khz with a video banwidth of 65 Mhz. I have tried the following options:
Generic 640x480 @ 60 Hz
Generic 800x600 @ 56 Hz
Generic 800x640 @ 60 Hz
I have tried the following resolutions:
640x480 16bpp
640x480 24bpp
640x480 32bpp
800x600 16bpp
800x600 24bpp
800x600 32bpp>
None of the combinations has worked. Whenever I do an installation the computer crashes wether I agree for the X configuration to be tested or not.Same thing when I use XFdrake.

>If that works, run the configuration tool again and try >800x600
> and so on until you have a resolution that makes sense for your
> monitor.  As a general guideline, 15 inch monitors should not exceed
> 800x600 or 1024x768 at best. 17 inch monitors should be good at 1024x768
> or 1152x864 or perhaps 1280x1024.
>
> This tool should ask you if you want to test your configuration.
> Please say yes!  This gives you a way to verify it quickly and
> if there are problems, you have not committed to making changes.

Here is a part of the README that came on the floppy with the monitor concerning the configuration for Linux:

2)Monitor Installation Tip

  < Explanation and Concept regarging the display monitor >

    The related the document is located at dm/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/Video Mode.doc and read the "readme.txt".

    >Horizontal Sync. Frequency (Unit Khz)
      This is the Dot Line per 1 seconds. And if you setting the H-Frequency incorrectly, it causes to make the
      problem at monitor hardware. you have to set the H-Frequency correctly.

    >Vertical Sync Frequency(Refresh Rate,  Unit Hz)
      This is the frame number per 1seconds. And if you setting the V-Frequency incorrectly, it cause to make flicker.
      If you work long time with this stituation, your eye will be tired. In order to reduce this problem,
      you have to increase the V-Frequency  up to 70Hz.

    >Dot Clock (Bandwidth)
      This is indicate the speed of Video Signal.

    >ModeLine Data Detail
	ModeLine "640x400"   25.175	640 664 760 800 400 409 411 450 -hsync +vsync
	640x480 --> Resolution
        25.175  --> Dot Clock(MHz)

    >Using the monitor installation diskette
        - Open the Xf86Config file with Linux Editor.
        - Move to [Monitor] Section.
        - After you select the monitor model in your install diskette, copy the data of HorizSync and VertRefresh
          to XF86Config.
        - Disable the resolution using the "#" at ModeLine.
          And after you select the monitor model in your install diskette, copy the data of ModeLine to XF86Config.

Any suggestion will be appreciated!
Regards,
Rejean