[nSLUG] Mandrake 9.0 same problem

Réjean Chamberland laudire2you at gosympatico.ca
Fri Mar 21 01:18:57 AST 2003

Hi again!
Guess what? I still can't get the graphics mode even if I installed Mandrake 9.0 with a Acer 77C monitor.
Before I started last week to install Linux on my 2nd hard drive on a Penthium II, 500 Mhz with Windoze on the primary hard drive, I went (as Donald suggested later) to the Mandrake web site and looked for hardware support and noticed that my 15" KDS monitor VS 550 wasn't mentioned but the 55 and the 550 versions were, so I had assumed my model would also be. I had made sure my S3 Trio video card was supported. Ok! No go!
So here comes Mandrake 9.0!!! Same problem! Alas! So I switched monitors, unplugged the Iomega external 100Mb zip drive which wasn't mentionned for Mandrake 8.0 (once again, assumed it was ok!) but is on the right list for 9.0 and the Epson Stylus 400 printer which was tested and performed more than adequately during a test and to be as safe as I can be I also unplugged and removed my old scanner's card ( should i unstall the software?)

Previously Peter wrote:
>The X server is a program, so the important stuff is in >/usr, not in /etc.
>(Config files and not much else goes in /etc.)  For XFree86 >4.x, the server is
>/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.  For version 3.x, there were >different server
>programs for different video cards, such as >usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3 or
>/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA.  (The executables depend on lots >of libraries and
>loadable modules, but if you've just installed things from >RPMs, everything
>else will be there if the executables are.)  If none of >those binaries
>exist, you'll need to install some RPMs.

Well I can finally see the  XF86_SVGA file and for the first time (except for the RedHat 6.2 install) I saw the XFree86 package showing up during install.I cannot, however, see any configuration made into it. I can see for example:
==append: to filename to view the binary file
/lib/ld-linux.so.2
libfont.so.1
AddfontNamesName
GetGlyphs
RemoveCachedFontPattern

but no settings anywhere.

Another thing that can go wrong is that /etc/X11/X is supposed to be a
symbolic link (aka symlink) to your chosen X server.  When you start up the
whole X system, e.g. by running startx, startx runs xinit, which runs the X
server and your X clients (including a window manager).  Things are actually
a bit more complicated than that, because there is also an XWrapper program
that does the setuid to root, and tries to protect the X server itself from
being used to compromise security.