[nSLUG] monitor question

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Mar 19 18:23:27 AST 2003

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:42:53AM -0500, R?jean Chamberland wrote:
> Hi Peter!
> Thanks for your reply. First thing first. Last night I installed a French
version of RedHat 6.2 which fits on a single CD and after testing the
graphic aspect 2 or 3 times unsuccessfully I changed the resolution to 800 X
640 and VOILA. I could be in graphic mode. After a few reboots I couldn't
remember what to tell Lilo to go back to Windoze

/etc/lilo.conf should include something like:
install=/boot/boot-menu.b

root=/dev/hdb2  # or something

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20
    label=linux
other=/dev/hda1
    label=windoze

> (which was on my first hard
drive) which worried me a lot and I also wanted to see if Mandrake 8.0 would
finally agree to move into graphic mode so I reinstalled it, making sure
that I chose a generic SVGA 800X640, to no avail. The good part about it is
that having not much to work with (considering my poor knowledge anyway) I
can keep on learning and practicing Vi and EMACS (I don't have PICO
installed however).

 Choose one, and learn to search, edit, and save.  If you want to learn vi,
make sure you've got a tutorial or book or something.  Learning from the
online help is probably not a good way to go.  With emacs, you can at least
use the menus to get some stuff done, but a tutorial would really help,
since the online help doesn't try to steer you toward the useful stuff, and
there is so much stuff in emacs that finding the useful stuff is the hard
part.

> Second point, about what you suggested. When I look into /usr/X11R6/bin/ I
don't see (and as never seen) any XFree86. I can see xf86cfg, xf86config,
xfd,xfwp, xinit, X, Xwrapper, Xdrakres, startx, x11perf, xset to name but a
few (including the Drak..., and the Run..., there are about 130 files).

 Is /usr/X11R6/bin/X a symlink to anything?  If there is no XFree86 or
XF86_S3V or XF86_SVGA, you don't have an X server.  You need to install an
RPM.

> Now, as far as /etc/X11/ is concerned I don't see any XFree86  file or
folder into it. I can see the files XF86Config, XF86Config-4 among others
and the folders xinit/,xinit.d/ and xserver/ and about a dozen more. If I
look into xinit/ I see XIM,Xclients,Xmodmap,fixkeyboard and xinitrc.

 XF86Config is the config file for XFree86 3.x X servers.  XF86Config-4 is
the config file for XFree86 4.x X servers.  (Some old vid cards are not
supported by XF86 4.x, so distros allow you to have both.

> As I mentionned in a previous post I am expection a version of Mandrake 9.0 that someone from BC burned for me and if I cannot install it successfully on my older computer I'll install it on my newer machine which has a nvidia riva tnt2 videocard.
 If you want 3d acceleration on an NV card, you have to mess with NVidia's
closed source kernel module, X driver, and OpenGL library.

> The 2 things that puzzle me the most are that Redhat 6.2 (I haven't tried the 6.0 version which I also have) and Mandrake 7.1 (only once however) work but the 2 versions of Mandrake 8.0 won't. Any thoughts?

 Different distros use different hardware detection and config file setup
programs.  Also, depending on whether you have XFree86 4.x or 3.x, things
might be harder or easier for the setup programs.  XFree86 4.x should work
with an S3 Trio3D/2X, using the s3virge driver.  3.x should work using
XF86_SVGA with the s3v driver.

http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status.html
http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status29.html

 You definitely want to use XFree86 4.x, because it's much better.  If
necessary, spend some time reading stuff on the web until you get your hands
on the Mandrake 9 CDs.  Don't waste your time messing with getting X set up
until then.  You can explore other parts of your Linux system, (if you can
deal with 640x480 graphics or text mode or whatever you're stuck with!).

> Thanks a google anyway!

 google is a website.  googol is a number (10^100).  But I knew what you
meant anyway :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y