[nSLUG] Time services

Jamie Fifield jamie at fifield.ca
Wed Mar 19 16:43:47 AST 2003

I'm going to include a bunch of replies in this one email. :)

1. I believe timeserver.dal.ca is a tier 3 NTP server.  Frankly, for
most purposes, one don't need to load the tier 2 servers.

2. If network latency to ntp servers is an issue for you (I don't see
how it is, because the protocol takes into account latency and
compensates for it), run your own ntp server.  To do this on Debian:
apt-get install ntp

3. Is sntp what MS Windows uses?  If so, then yes, ntpd supports this.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when you want to time sync a
Windows box you need to either need third party software or know the
Windows name of the ntp server.

Here's a case study of my home network.

I run a ntpd from my Debian file server (data.ghostnet), it also has a
Windows name of "data" using Samba.  data syncs time from:
time.nrc.ca
ntp1.cmc.ec.gc.ca
tock.utoronto.ca
timeserver.dal.ca

My Windows box (2K) syncs against \\data with the command:
"c:\winnt\system32\net.exe time \\data /SET /Y"
This is a 'Scheduled Task'.

My other Windows box (NT4) syncs with the command:
"net date \\data /set /y"
and this is an 'at' job.

Of course, all my linux boxes just sync with ntpdate.  Setting all
this up on a Debian box is pretty trivial once you've done it once.
Should be something like:
# apt-get install ntpdate
# echo 'NTPSERVERS="time.nrc.ca ntp1.cmc.ec.gc.ca tock.utoronto.ca
timeserver.dal.ca"' > /etc/default/ntp-servers
# apt-get install ntp
# install and config samba :(

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 02:20:07PM -0400, Bill Davidson wrote:
> Hi:
>
> That reminds me of something that I was looking into a while ago.  There is a
> machine whose clock I want to sync with some linux boxen on a LAN, but it
> only speaks sntp.  Will ntpd answer sntp queries?  Is there another time
> server I can run on a linux box to act as a sntp server?
>
> On March 19, 2003 12:30 pm, you wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm beginning to worry about providing time services to a network.
> > Being a man of low-powered computing (at present I have a Sparc10 and a
> > 486-33, both running RH6.x) I'm finding timed on the systems, but when
> > I look elsewhere folks haven't heard/don't have such a thing (e.g.
> > RH7.1 and above). Timed seems to fit my needs, but in a longer time
> > frame, I'm concerned that it doesn't exist.
> >
> > Any comments/opinions on the whole issue of time services?
> >
> > Rick Wightman

> --
> Bill Davidson
> bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca