[nSLUG] Time services

Bill Davidson bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Wed Mar 19 16:03:58 AST 2003

Hi:

On March 19, 2003 02:32 pm, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> Assuming "closer is better" and most people on this list are closer
> networkwise to Dal than any of these sites, use timeserver.dal.ca as
> your "preferred" ntp server.

You are assuming that most users of this group are on Eastlink, and that may
be true for all I know.  However, Aliant users have quite a different
"geography".  Here'e the reult of a quick check I just did:

		timeserver.dal.ca		tick.utoronto.ca		time.nrc.ca
		hops	avg ping	hops	avg ping	hops	avg ping
>From Aliant	30	72.2		19	75.4		15	60.7
>From Eastlink	11	10.7 (!)		19	85.8		17	69.7

The above looks great in my mail program, and probably looks terrible in
yours.  The ping times are, of course, just what I got now, not meant to be
typical in any way.

Anyway, Dal is a great choice for Eastlink users, and a lousy one for Aliant
users.  Of course, Donald's point about ntp's ability to compensate for
network latency is quite true.

--
Bill Davidson
bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca