[nSLUG] Time services

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Wed Mar 19 12:52:30 AST 2003

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 12:30:34PM -0400, Rick Wightman wrote:

> I'm beginning to worry about providing time services to a network.
> Being a man of low-powered computing (at present I have a Sparc10 and a
> 486-33, both running RH6.x) I'm finding timed on the systems, but when
> I look elsewhere folks haven't heard/don't have such a thing (e.g.
> RH7.1 and above). Timed seems to fit my needs, but in a longer time
> frame, I'm concerned that it doesn't exist.
>
> Any comments/opinions on the whole issue of time services?

For sub-1second correctness and accuracy I use NTP, and it has
become in my opinion the de facto time protocol on the internet.

Network Time Protocol, version 3 or 4.
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/
http://www.ntp.org/

There is a NTP server at UNB (ntp.unb.ca), and/or NBTel/NBnet/Aliant.

The NTP package also has support for external reference devices like
radio receviers for NRC's CHU and NIST's WVV or from a GPS.

Just about any linux or BSD distribution should have ntp(d) or xntp(d),
I think even Slackware includes it.