[nSLUG] monitor question

Réjean Chamberland laudire2you at gosympatico.ca
Wed Mar 19 12:42:53 AST 2003

> From: Peter Cordes <peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca>
> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 01:01:48 -0400
> To: nslug at nslug.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: Re: [nSLUG] monitor question
>
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 01:10:27AM -0500, Rejean Chamberland wrote:
Peter Cordes replied:
>  The X server is a program, so the important stuff is in /usr, not in /etc.
> (Config files and not much else goes in /etc.)  For XFree86 4.x, the server is
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.  For version 3.x, there were different server
> programs for different video cards, such as /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3 or
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA.  (The executables depend on lots of libraries and
> loadable modules, but if you've just installed things from RPMs, everything
> else will be there if the executables are.)  If none of those binaries
> exist, you'll need to install some RPMs.
>
>  Another thing that can go wrong is that /etc/X11/X is supposed to be a
> symbolic link (aka symlink) to your chosen X server.  When you start up the
> whole X system, e.g. by running startx, startx runs xinit, which runs the X
> server and your X clients (including a window manager).  Things are actually
> a bit more complicated than that, because there is also an XWrapper program
> that does the setuid to root, and tries to protect the X server itself from
> being used to compromise security.

Hi Peter!
Thanks for your reply. First thing first. Last night I installed a French version of RedHat 6.2 which fits on a single CD and after testing the graphic aspect 2 or 3 times unsuccessfully I changed the resolution to 800 X 640 and VOILA. I could be in graphic mode. After a few reboots I couldn't remember what to tell Lilo to go back to Windoze (which was on my first hard drive) which worried me a lot and I also wanted to see if Mandrake 8.0 would finally agree to move into graphic mode so I reinstalled it, making sure that I chose a generic SVGA 800X640, to no avail. The good part about it is that having not much to work with (considering my poor knowledge anyway) I can keep on learning and practicing Vi and EMACS (I don't have PICO installed however).
Second point, about what you suggested. When I look into /usr/X11R6/bin/ I don't see (and as never seen) any XFree86. I can see xf86cfg, xf86config, xfd,xfwp, xinit, X, Xwrapper, Xdrakres, startx, x11perf, xset to name but a few (including the Drak..., and the Run..., there are about 130 files).
Now, as far as /etc/X11/ is concerned I don't see any XFree86  file or folder into it. I can see the files XF86Config, XF86Config-4 among others and the folders xinit/,xinit.d/ and xserver/ and about a dozen more. If I look into xinit/ I see XIM,Xclients,Xmodmap,fixkeyboard and xinitrc.
As I mentionned in a previous post I am expection a version of Mandrake 9.0 that someone from BC burned for me and if I cannot install it successfully on my older computer I'll install it on my newer machine which has a nvidia riva tnt2 videocard.
The 2 things that puzzle me the most are that Redhat 6.2 (I haven't tried the 6.0 version which I also have) and Mandrake 7.1 (only once however) work but the 2 versions of Mandrake 8.0 won't. Any thoughts?
Thanks a google anyway!
Regards.
Rejean