[nSLUG] monitor question

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Mar 19 01:01:48 AST 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 01:10:27AM -0500, R?jean Chamberland wrote:
> >  Do you even have an X server installed?  Make sure all the packages that
> > are supposed to be there are in fact installed.  (Sorry I can't tell you
> > exactly which packages to look for, but different distros break things up
> > into packages differently.  However, a package like xserver-xfree86 (version
> > 4.something) is what you should look for.)
> >
> Where do you suggest I look for it.

 The X server is a program, so the important stuff is in /usr, not in /etc.
(Config files and not much else goes in /etc.)  For XFree86 4.x, the server is
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.  For version 3.x, there were different server
programs for different video cards, such as /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3 or
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA.  (The executables depend on lots of libraries and
loadable modules, but if you've just installed things from RPMs, everything
else will be there if the executables are.)  If none of those binaries
exist, you'll need to install some RPMs.

 Another thing that can go wrong is that /etc/X11/X is supposed to be a
symbolic link (aka symlink) to your chosen X server.  When you start up the
whole X system, e.g. by running startx, startx runs xinit, which runs the X
server and your X clients (including a window manager).  Things are actually
a bit more complicated than that, because there is also an XWrapper program
that does the setuid to root, and tries to protect the X server itself from
being used to compromise security.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y