[nSLUG] monitor question

Réjean Chamberland laudire2you at gosympatico.ca
Tue Mar 18 01:37:26 AST 2003

> From: M Taylor <mctylr at privacy.nb.ca>
> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 02:47:57 +0000
> To: nslug at nslug.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: Re: [nSLUG] monitor question
>
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 04:15:45PM -0500, Réjean Chamberland wrote:
> >

> You do NOT want it to start (open) X at boot time, until you have it working.
> This is a simple change to a text file you can make after the installation
> process. In fact to change to it back, switch to a console window,
> using "Ctrl-Alt-F1", and then login as root, then edit /etc/inittab
> (you can use pico or vi, or one of the other various text editors).

Hi Mr. Taylor.
Please forgive my ignorance. Two years ago I had Mandrake 7.1 working on my computer for a few months but it was in graphical mode with which I feel a lot more comfortable.I gave up after a while because I had a winmodem and little storage space and my wife didn't want to hear about anything but Windoze.

First thing, I do remember something on the computer during the last few days about:
id:3:initdefault:

Not being fluent in Unix lingo I can move back and forth between directories but I still do not know how to open a file or move up and down within one.

I can open vi but what should I do next?
> Near the top of the file, about 10-15 lines down, look for a line that
> starts with id:??:initdefault:  and change it to:
>
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> Then when you reboot, or do a 'init q', you will start into a command prompt,
> multi-user with networking runlevel.
>
> Now, try 'startx' and report the errors. You should hopefully not have
> the errors about unable to find /etc/X11/X.

I do have the errno 2 and 3

> If you do have the error about /etc/X11/X do:
> ls -l /etc/X11/X

When I do so I get a No such file or directory

> and then do a 'ls -l ....' replacing the dots with the entire file
> path with what /etc/X11/X points to (since I expect it do be an symbolic
> link).
>
> So if should be something like:
>
> mctaylor at pringle:~$ ls -l /etc/X11/X
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Sep 27 22:06 /etc/X11/X -> /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA
>
> and then I want you to do (edit it to use the last part as returned from the
> first 'ls' command):
>
> mctaylor at pringle:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1505256 Apr 16  2002 /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA
>
> If you get an error with this second 'ls' command, we know what the
> problem is, the symbolic link used by startx is broken.
>
> It might be useful to do a 'ls -l /usr/bin/X11/XF*' as well.
>
> I hope this makes sense, and will hopefully let you make more progress
> (rather than frustration) than simply trying to reinstall Linux.

If you think it's too much work showing me how to go from now  I can wait ( someone is sending me a copy of Mandrake 9.0 from B.C. ) I wouldn't mind, however, to learn how to fix my problem because I know I would learn more than I could using a book all by myself in this still cold part of Northern Cape Breton.
Thanks in advance,
Rejean.