[nSLUG] File written finaly

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Mar 18 00:59:46 AST 2003

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 12:33:30PM -0500, R?jean Chamberland wrote:

> > From: Réjean Chamberland <laudire2you at gosympatico.ca>
> > Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:47:50 -0500
> > To: <nslug at nslug.ns.ca>
> > Subject: [nSLUG] File written finaly
> >
> > Hi everyone!
> > I reran XF86Config and at the end I got this message:
> >
> > The file has been written. Take a look at it before running 'startx'. Note that the XF86Config file must be in one of the directories searched by the server (e.g. /etc/X11) in order to be used. Within the server press ctrl, alt and '+' simultaneously to cycle video resolutions. Pressing ctrl, alt and backspace simultaneously immediately exits the server ( use if the monitor doesn't sync for a particular mode.
> >
> > When I do a cd /etc
> >  then a cd/X11 and I type 'ls' I can see the file XF86Config. How can I open it, because when I type it at the prompt I get
> > bash: XF86Config: command not found
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Rejean
> > Update!
> I managed to get into XF86Config using less and as far as I can tell everything looks fine, i.e. horizontal and vertical sweep frequencies, resolkution, etc. But clicking ctrl, alt and '+ ' doesn't change anything.
> Any clue?

 It's a text file.  less is a viewer for text files.  (It's name is a play
on the traditional "more" program that shows text one page at a time.  less
is more.)  You want an editor, like vi, emacs, nano, or anything like that.
Most of the simple windoze-notepad-like editors run under X, but because of
the catch-22 of this situation, you'll have to use a text-based text editor.
You've got a linux book, and it probably explains vi and emacs, so pick one,
make sure it's installed, and then use it.  (Personally, I like to use jed
for small editting tasks, and emacs for programming.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y