[nSLUG] monitor question

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Mar 18 00:49:53 AST 2003

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:57:12AM -0500, R?jean Chamberland wrote:

> > From: M Taylor <mctylr at privacy.nb.ca>
> > Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 00:50:11 +0000
> > To: nslug at nslug.ns.ca
> > Subject: Re: Re: [nSLUG] monitor question
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 01:57:54PM -0500, Réjean Chamberland wrote:
>
> > Taking your current installation of Mandrake 8, and login as or 'su -' to
> > root, then run 'XFdrake' or 'xfdrake'.
> >
> > For your monitor, select something like "Generic SVGA", which should be
> > good enough to get you started. You can readjust after things are working.
> >
> > Does this work?
> >

> > Good luck.
>
> Hi!  Thanks for the suggestions! Someone from BC offered to burn the 3 CDs that come with Mandrake 9.0 and send them to me for the price of shipping. Considering my actual problem it will probably not work on my old machine (Penthium II, 500Mhz) but I should be able to move the hard drive into my newer machine (Penthium III, I.0 Ghz with a 40 Gb primary hard drive.
> As far as becoming more familiar with Linux I am actually reading and studying the book that came with RedHat 6.0 even if it is in French.
> As far as running XFdrake, when I do so I am told that everything already existed.
> Now, if I try startx here is what I get:
>
> [root at localhost rejean]# startx
> startx ->execue failed for /etc/X11/X (errno2)

 Do you even have an X server installed?  Make sure all the packages that
are supposed to be there are in fact installed.  (Sorry I can't tell you
exactly which packages to look for, but different distros break things up
into packages differently.  However, a package like xserver-xfree86 (version
4.something) is what you should look for.)

> giving up
> xinit: No such file or directory (errno2): unable to connect to X server.
> xinit: No such process (errno3): Server error.
>

> If I try startkde I can read:
>
> xsetroot: unable to open display ' '
> xmodmap: unable to open display ' '
> xmodmap: unable to open display ' '
> xset: unable to open display""
> ksplash: cannot connect to X server
> Aborting: $DISPLAY is not set.
> Aborting: $DISPLAY is not set.
> ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Puipe closed unexpected.
> ksmserver: cannot to X server

 These are all symptoms of no X server having started.

> Finally, I have tried at least 20 times to do what you suggested with different Generic options or different KDE options and exactly the same thing happens as it is described in the post that Tim refered to.
> One last question if I may? I cannot remember how to restore the MBR on
the old machine. I know it's quite simple but right now if I uninstall Linux
or move the 2nd hard drive I am unable to boot into Windoze. Could you
refresh my memory? Thanks a google to you and everyone else who have helped
me lately.

 lilo -u, or boot windows and run fdisk /mbr.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y