[nSLUG] monitor question

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Mon Mar 17 22:47:57 AST 2003

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 04:15:45PM -0500, Réjean Chamberland wrote:

> I went to the web page you suggested and looked for my video card:
> S3 Trio 3D/2X 368 and according to what they say it should be compatible:
>
> 3.3.6:

I have used a S3 Trio 3D (forget exact model) under XFree86 3.x myself,
so I can confirm it does work, and shouldn't be too too hard. XF86_SVGA
server.

> I tried (as root):
> XFdrake config --expert and chose the best settings I could then Linux asked me if I wanted X to open at boot time, I said yes and now when I restart I see the terminal for  a little glimpse and then a blank screen. So I am reinstalling Mandrake 7.1 so that I can at least practice what I am learning from Red Hat, as far as command line is concerned.

You do NOT want it to start (open) X at boot time, until you have it working.
This is a simple change to a text file you can make after the installation
process. In fact to change to it back, switch to a console window,
using "Ctrl-Alt-F1", and then login as root, then edit /etc/inittab
(you can use pico or vi, or one of the other various text editors).

Near the top of the file, about 10-15 lines down, look for a line that
starts with id:??:initdefault:  and change it to:

id:3:initdefault:

Then when you reboot, or do a 'init q', you will start into a command prompt,
multi-user with networking runlevel.

Now, try 'startx' and report the errors. You should hopefully not have
the errors about unable to find /etc/X11/X.

If you do have the error about /etc/X11/X do:

ls -l /etc/X11/X

and then do a 'ls -l ....' replacing the dots with the entire file
path with what /etc/X11/X points to (since I expect it do be an symbolic
link).

So if should be something like:

mctaylor at pringle:~$ ls -l /etc/X11/X
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Sep 27 22:06 /etc/X11/X -> /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA

and then I want you to do (edit it to use the last part as returned from the
first 'ls' command):

mctaylor at pringle:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1505256 Apr 16  2002 /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA

If you get an error with this second 'ls' command, we know what the
problem is, the symbolic link used by startx is broken.

It might be useful to do a 'ls -l /usr/bin/X11/XF*' as well.

I hope this makes sense, and will hopefully let you make more progress
(rather than frustration) than simply trying to reinstall Linux.