[nSLUG] monitor question

Réjean Chamberland laudire2you at gosympatico.ca
Mon Mar 17 17:15:45 AST 2003

> From: Donald Teed <dteed at artistic.ca>
> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:55:21 -0400 (AST)
> To: nslug at nslug.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: Re: [nSLUG] monitor question
>
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, [ISO8859_1] Réjean Chamberland wrote:

> I can think of a few things that can go wrong leading to a failure of
> the floppy:
>
> 1.  CMOS has floppy disabled, or boot order doesn't include A: or floppy
> before C: or hard drive, or CMOS has swap A and B drives enabled
>
> 2.  Floppy was recently removed and cable installed in reverse
> orientation.

I did it a few times and I burnt a few floppy drives.

>This will usually write garbage on any disc inserted,
> whether you intended to do so or not.  The symptom is that >the light
> is on all of the time (and spins).

The light never comes on anymore

> 3.  Liquid spilled on floppy, floppy (dried even) inserted
> in drive and floppy head gummed up
>
> You can clean a floppy drive with a cleaner disc.  You can replace
> it with a new one for $20 something.  In a pinch you can >borrow
> one from another working machine.

Thanks for the suggestions, Donald!
I had someone here in northern Cape Breton whos has been building and selling computers and networks trying to figure out the floppy drive problem last Fall and recently my wife took the computer to a place in Kentville that repairs computers also, where they told her that the motherboard was gone and that I had to buy a new computer ( You know how some vendors are with women customers!!!) The fact is that Windoze works fine, the CD-ROM works fine, the sound card is ok (It's not a great one but it works), and the scanner works, so does the printer.

I went to the web page you suggested and looked for my video card:
S3 Trio 3D/2X 368 and according to what they say it should be compatible:

3.3.6:

    Support (accelerated) for the S3 911, 924, 801, 805, 928, 864, 868, 964, 968, Trio32, Trio64, Trio64V+, Trio64UV+, Aurora64V+, Trio64V2, and PLATO/PX is provided by the XF86_S3 server and the XF86_SVGA server with the s3_svga driver. Support (accelerated) for the ViRGE, ViRGE/VX, ViRGE/DX, ViRGE/GX, ViRGE/GX2, ViRGE/MX, ViRGE/MX+ is provided by the XF86_S3V server. Support (accelerated) for the ViRGE chipsets, as well as the Trio3D and Trio3D/2X, is provided by the XF86_SVGA server with the s3v driver. Support (accelerated) for the Savage3D, Savage3D/MV, Savage4, and Savage2000, is provided by the XF86_SVGA server with the s3_savage driver on some OSes (Linux, *BSD).
4.3.0:

    Support (accelerated) for the 964 (revisions 0 and 1), 968, Trio32, Trio64, Trio64, Trio64V+, Trio64UV+, Aurora64V+, Trio64V2, and PLATO/PX is provided by the "s3" driver (however, only models using the IBM RGB 524, Texas Instruments 3025, or an internal TrioDAC RAMDAC chip are supported). Support (accelerated) for the ViRGE, ViRGE/VX, ViRGE/DX, ViRGE/GX, ViRGE/GX2, ViRGE/MX, ViRGE/MX+, Trio3D and Trio3D/2X is provided by the "s3virge" driver. Support (accelerated) for the Savage3D, Savage3D/MV, Savage4, Savage2000, and SuperSavage, is provided by the "savage" driver. Support for the other S3 chipsets has not yet been ported.
I tried (as root):
XFdrake config --expert and chose the best settings I could then Linux asked me if I wanted X to open at boot time, I said yes and now when I restart I see the terminal for  a little glimpse and then a blank screen. So I am reinstalling Mandrake 7.1 so that I can at least practice what I am learning from Red Hat, as far as command line is concerned.
Once again, thanks an awful lot for your patience and your help.
Regards,
Rejean