[nSLUG] monitor question

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Sun Mar 16 20:50:11 AST 2003

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 01:57:54PM -0500, Réjean Chamberland wrote:

> I said stupid because about an hour later I decided to try reinstalling Mandrake 8.0 and see if it would work ( it didn't) thinking that I could always reinstall 7.1 again. Well I don't know what specific I did to make it work ( I must be reinstalling for the fiftieth time right now ) but since last night I must be into my tenth reinstall. At least I have some kind of hope right now.

You know that the current version of Mandrake Linux is 9.0, (9.1 is in beta/
release canidate).

<http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3#iso>

Though, based on some of your problems with installing / configurating
XFree86 (3 versus 4), I wonder if you might be better served to install
a distribution with a larger user based (at least in NS), like Red Hat
or Debian.

Some of your problems are simple lack of familitity with the Linux command
line, which is not the distributor's problem, and you will learn enough
about the directory layout of a Linux system, about the command shell
(typically 'bash' under Linux), common environment variables ($PATH),
what the colours from 'ls --color' mean (by default dark blue means
directory, light blue/cyan means symbolic link, green is an executable,
red is an archive or compressed file), and many more little things
that you will learn with time and experience.

I think you are far enough along the install process that you should
NOT bother reinstalling, unless you install something newer/different.

Have patience, and we will try to help you the best we can. The major
problem appears to be support for your video card under XFree86 version
4 or 3. It appears that you are having some progress with version 3,
and so at this point:

Taking your current installation of Mandrake 8, and login as or 'su -' to
root, then run 'XFdrake' or 'xfdrake'.

For your monitor, select something like "Generic SVGA", which should be
good enough to get you started. You can readjust after things are working.

Does this work?

Good luck.