[nSLUG] Getting somewhere

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Mar 15 11:22:03 AST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, [ISO8859_1] Réjean Chamberland wrote:

> Hi everyone!
> I couldn't figure X using XFree86 -configure but using xf86 config I am getting somewhere. I can configure the mouse, the keyboard, the memory size of my video card and the vertical and horizontal frequency.
> However, when I receive this message:
>
> " I am going to write the XF86Config file now. Make sure you don't accidently overwrite a previously configured one.
> Do you want it written to the current directory as 'XF86Config'? " and I press ENTER I get:
>
> " Please give a filename to write to: "
>
> What should I do? Because if I type, for example, XF86video I get the following message:
>
> " Failed to open filename for writing.
> Maybe you need to be root to write to the specified directory?
> [rejean at localhost/]$

OK, you definitely need to be root when you do this. "su" will ask for the
root password then give you a root shell. Then run xf86config and see if
it automatically picks the right directory when you hit enter (ie, not
"the current directory"). If not, try /etc/X11/XF86Config instead.

Cheers... Dop.