[nSLUG] monitor question

Réjean Chamberland laudire2you at gosympatico.ca
Fri Mar 14 19:19:35 AST 2003

Hi everyone!
I have installed Mandrake 8.0 on the second drive (2.0 Gb) of a computer (500 Mhz) running Windoze 98 SE on the first drive (2.5 Gb). Unfortunately it works only in terminal mode. I must have reinstalled it at least 2o times since yesterday with always the same result. Once I get into the post install stage and just before X gets configured I am asked to choose my monitor (a KDS VS 555 High resolution monitor, which is not mentioned on the list. They have 550 and many others which I have tried). Right after my selection I get this message:
/tmp/imm.o: init-module: No such device.

Now I just noticed this note in the booklet that came with the monitor (which is just over a year old):
" This monitor is designed for microsoft window 95 when you select a monitor type please select "Standard monitor types"".
So my question is: Has anyone ever heard of some monitors that would work only with windoze and not linux? I know about winmodems but is there such a thing as a winmonitor?
Any suggestion will be welcome. Thanks in advance!
Rejean