[nSLUG] still installing Mandrake

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Mar 14 12:18:21 AST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, [ISO8859_1] Réjean Chamberland wrote:

> > Looks like the X server isn't installed or is misconfigured. Try doing "ls
> > -l /etc/X11/X", that should be a symlink that points to another file, like
> > this:
>
> When I do so I get:
> ls: /etc/X11/X: No such file or directory

I suppose that explains why X won't start up. You need to install the X
server (and quite possibly some other stuff, I would imagine). I don't
know how to do this in Mandrake, perhaps someone else can point you at an
appropriate console tool?

Alternatively you might want to install Debian instead, use tasksel when
you get prompted and not dselect, and select the appropriate install
("workstation", if I recall correctly, plus any other stuff you think
you'll want).

> While if I try " ls -l " I get:

Mmmkay. ls /etc/X11/X would have the DOS equivalent of dir \etc\X11\X. ls
-l would have the DOS equivalent of dir. All ls -l did was show you the
contents of the current directory, and aren't too relevant.

Cheers... Dop.