[nSLUG] Re: still installing Mandrake

Réjean Chamberland laudire2you at gosympatico.ca
Fri Mar 14 11:51:30 AST 2003

> From: Steve Muise <muisesg at muise.homeip.net>
> Date: 2003/03/14 Fri AM 06:51:14 EST
> To: nslug at nslug.ns.ca
> Subject: [nSLUG] Re: still installing Mandrake
>

> >Dop suggested something about entering: =93 startx > startx.out =93 to br=
> >ing the graphical window up but when I do so, whatever the new install , =
> >I get a =93 execue failed for etc/X11/X (errno2)   giving up.
> >xinit: No such file or directory (errno2): unable to connect to X servor =
> >=93
> >Then it says;
> >=93 xninit: No such process (errno3): Server error. =93
> >And then it goes back to my local host entry:
> >

> Your Reader must have shown his question marks as =93.  any way if you
> just type startx, the same info should appear in
>
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log
>
> you may get more info by typing this
>
> startx > ~/Xlog 2>&1
>
> This should put standard out and errors in your home directory in the
> file Xlog look in the file for anything that starts with (EE).
> Something you could try also is run XFdrake as root, set up your monitor
> as generic 640x480 60hz and choose a 640x480 screen res.

How can I go into root? If I write " cd /root " I am told that the permission is denied. If I write " cd / " I can get the prompt [rejean at localhost /]$ and if I add " XFdrake " I get a bash: XFdrake: command not found

It is likely
> the loading of the videocard modules that is causing this. Doing lspci
> and look for the line for your vga card and send it in your next post.
> Also the ouput from /sbin/lsmod may help.
Here is what I get:
Module           Size      Used by
sb               7136       0 (unused)
sb-lib          33120       0 [sb]
uart401          6224       0 [sb-lib]
sound           55256       0 [sb-lib uart 401]
soundcore        3504       5 [sb-lib sound]
8139too         11696       1 (autoclean)
usb-uhci        20672       0 (unused)
usbcore         47248       1 [usb-uhci]
nls-iso8859-1    2848       1 (autoclean)
nls-cp850        3584       1 (autoclean)
vfat             9040       1 (autoclean)
fat             30720       0 (autoclean) [vfat]
supermount      32496       6 (autoclean)
parport_pc      23024       1 (autoclean)
ppa              9536       0 (unused)
parport         24576       1 [parport_pc ppa]
sd_mod          11048       0 (unused)
scsi_mod        86036       2 [ppa sd_mod]

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance!
Rejean