[nSLUG] Happy Meal Ethernet

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Mar 14 11:15:02 AST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Donald Teed wrote:

> The typical trigger point for the ethernet to fail is a burst of data.
> For example, an nmap probe from another machine, or fast scrolling text
> output from a ssh session will cause the connection to close or fail.

I have an identical problem with one of my laptops (x86) with an Intel
chipset. The only solution I've found to get around this without rebooting
is to compile the driver as a module, then when it hangs do ifdown eth0 ;
rmmod eepro100 ; modprobe eepro100 ; ifup eth0. Not much of a solution
but it should save on rebooting, at least.

I've got a scsi/ethernet combo card in my sparc that uses the sunlance
driver that I picked up off ebay for ~$30 - that might be an easier route
for you. It's certainly been working fine for me for the past couple of
months. I think
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3405845758&category=20328
is the same one I have.

Cheers... Dop.