[nSLUG] still installing Mandrake

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Mar 14 07:46:43 AST 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, [ISO8859_1] Réjean Chamberland wrote:

> Hi everyone!
> Dop suggested something about entering: “ startx > startx.out “ to bring the graphical window up but when I do so, whatever the new install , I get a “ execue failed for etc/X11/X (errno2)   giving up.

Looks like the X server isn't installed or is misconfigured. Try doing "ls
-l /etc/X11/X", that should be a symlink that points to another file, like
this:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Sep  1  2002 /etc/X11/X ->
/usr/bin/X11/XFree86

In my case, it's pointing to /usr/bin/X11/XFree86. Do ls -l on the file
that your symlink points to to make sure the file is really there. I
suspect Mandrake 8.0 uses XFree86 3.x, which has a separate X server per
video card and you don't have the right server for your video card
installed. Hope that gives you a couple of pointers, at least :-)

> The tricky part is that my mainboard cannot read a floppy disk but I have 2 computers with a CD burner on the bigger computer and an external  zip drive that can communicate between the 2 computers.

Perhaps try a different distribution if you're having so much trouble with
Mandrake? My own recommendation would be for Debian, at www.debian.org.
One other thing you might want to try is Knoppix, which is a full linux
install on CD - you just boot off the CD and you have pretty much
everything you might need to run under Linux (albeit slightly slowly since
it's all running off CD). http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html is
you want to try it.

Cheers... Dop.