[nSLUG] still installing Mandrake

Réjean Chamberland laudire2you at gosympatico.ca
Thu Mar 13 21:45:58 AST 2003

Hi everyone!
I thought I would give Dop a little break and start a new post raking the whole nslug brain instead. I am trying to install Mandrake 8.0 ( I have reinstalled it at least 10 times today. I can never pass the monitor or video detection stage during the post install period, whatever I say my KDS 15” monitor is.)
I can get in terminal mode, however, and switch from root to my user name command post but not being a unix speaker there is very little else I can do.
Dop suggested something about entering: “ startx > startx.out “ to bring the graphical window up but when I do so, whatever the new install , I get a “ execue failed for etc/X11/X (errno2)   giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno2): unable to connect to X servor “
Then it says;
“ xninit: No such process (errno3): Server error. “
And then it goes back to my local host entry:

[rejean at localhost rejean]$

Can anyone who has ever played with Mandrake before give me any suggestion as to how to go forward from here?

The tricky part is that my mainboard cannot read a floppy disk but I have 2 computers with a CD burner on the bigger computer and an external  zip drive that can communicate between the 2 computers.
Rejean