[nSLUG] installing Mandrake 8.0

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Mar 13 17:49:24 AST 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, [ISO8859_1] Réjean Chamberland wrote:

> NOW! I had almost finished the install when the installation   started to configure my system. I skipped the network part because there is something wrong with it since I got my computer back last week ( my wife who is going to school in Kentville brought it back and now I cannot see what is on the other computer from either one although I am told I am connected. Anyway, after that it wanted to figure out my monitor ( a KDS 15 inches ) and I opted for SVGA 1024 X 768  but then it stalled giving me this message:
> /tmp/imm.0: init_module: No such device.

Hmmm... that's an odd error, I've only ever seen that when loading a
module, and they generally come from somewhere under /lib/modules rather
than /tmp...

Try logging in and running "startx > startx.out"; once X crashes out run
"less startx.out" and look for any obvious errors there - there should be
something shortly before the imm.0 error that may give you a pointer. I'm
guessing Mandrake may have bombed out on the install, try looking in
/etc/modules and /etc/modules.conf to see if this /tmp/imm.0 is mentioned
anywhere. It might also be worth trying "grep imm.0 `find /etc -type f`"
to see if it's mentioned anywhere else.

Cheers... Dop.