[nSLUG] installing Mandrake 8.0

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Mar 13 14:26:10 AST 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, [ISO8859_1] Réjean Chamberland wrote:

> Hi everyone!
> I would like to install Mandrake 8.0 on the second hard drive  ( 2.0 Gb ) of a  Penthium II 500 Mhz which has Windoze 98 SE on the first hard drive ( 2.5 Gb ).
> The main problem is that the main board cannot read the floppy drive which works on another computer ( I have also tried several other working floppy drives but none work ). When I want to start Windoze I have to press F1 before 98 boots in.
> My question is: Can I install Mandrake without making a boot disk? When I insert the Core System CD (X86) and I reboot I see  4 options; Quick install guide, Linux-Mandrake tutorial, Create boot diskette and Exit. Can I go past that and start installing?

I don't know about Mandrake specifically, but you should be able to use
loadlin to boot a kernel which then loads the initrd image. You'll
probably need to copy both the kernel and the image off the cd onto the
hard drive. Once you're booted into Linux you should be able to continue
the install as normal.

Loadlin is at http://elserv.ffm.fgan.de/~lermen/

Cheers... Dop.