[nSLUG] Jigdo File

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Thu Mar 6 17:04:27 AST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 08:54:21AM -0400, Donald Teed wrote:
> jigdo-bin-0.6.9.tar
>
> I can't believe how many tools we must rely on that are under
> version 1.0.  A version number this low means if this was a car
> it would only be safe to take around the block slowly.

Version numbers do not indicate quality. They reflect the build
process not Design and Quality Assurance / Testing.

I have some simple dodos that are version 0.2 or 0.3 which are
fine, and AFAIK bugfree. Of course these are simple programs or scripts
that do a fairly linear or non-complex task which makes development
and testing easy.

I would trust a version 0.2 or 0.3 product from some developers
or groups (e.g. NASA flight control software) rather than Slackware
9.0-rc1 or Red Hat Linux 8.0. It depends on factors other
than version numbering. You could look at ALSA sound library
which recommends using their CVS or at least their unstable / dev
version rather than their ancient stable version.

Of course as a developer I try to eat my own dogfood, and use
the current (dev or unstable) version for my own use of the
software I develop. For anyone else, I try to use the latest
"recommended" version. A petpeeve of mine is people who report
bugs in old software, that are known and fixed in the current
(open-source) release.