[nSLUG] Jigdo File

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Mar 5 23:17:54 AST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:41:56PM -0400, Donald Teed wrote:
> No I didn't read it.  I also have not read the license details for
> most of the commercial and free software I've personally installed.
> I have not read the GNU license, nor the Artistic License, nor many other
> open/free agreements which are more or less equivalent as far as
> I'm concerned (I don't distribute any of them).

I assumed too much.  Sorry.  Didn't realize you were missing this background
until your last message, when it dawned on me you hadn't the faintest idea
what Ryan and I were going on about this social contract.

> I was reading your paragraph that began "You don't get it do you"
> which talked about being a Debian user and then talked about
> the social contract and implied that I would be a better
> software citizen if I could have the time to contribute bug reports -

Incidentally, that's not exactly what I wanted to convey.  Rather, I was
saying that to get results from free software, you need to communicate
problems effectively with those who can help you.

> getting involved with part of the QA processes in a way.  I took that
> to mean the social contract was something that applied to the user since
> you have mentioned repeatedly that I should have done something more
> than say to myself "this is busted".

The social contract has a bearing on you and is something you should read
because otherwise you're going to make incorrect assumptions about what
we're about.  Then you end up with a mismatch between what you expect out of
us, and what we have committed to do for you.

> I have contributed to many bug reports in the past.  I just don't have
> the opportunity to do so in the heat of battle to get something up
> and running.

Quite understandable.  But in the heat of battle, there are other means of
communication that will serve you well.  A quick note to the appropriate
mailing list with enough details about your problem to get a useful response
is all that is called for.  After the dust is settled, if you are so
inclined, filing a bug report may further your own interests for the
software you're having difficulty with, or it may not.  Or you may feel it's
just "the right thing to do" or you may not.  I don't really care.  The
point was that Debian would like to help you, but you need to know who to
approach and how.  The first step in doing that is realizing that we're not
like a software company.  The second is to get a general idea of how we
operate and work with us instead of against us.

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org