[nSLUG] Pine and Debian

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Mar 5 01:05:38 AST 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 06:53:32PM -0400, Donald Teed wrote:

> I must be missing something.  I don't see pine in dselect
> and I don't see it searching for pine in the Debian packages
> at the Debian web site.  Pine is as common as grass. I don't
> understand why there isn't a debian package.  If I'm wrong, I'd
> like to know where to find a deb package.  Otherwise I'll use
> the source, but I'd prefer the dependancy checking and package
> management method.

 It is illegal to distribute "modified binaries" (i.e. ones which keep
things in the Right Place, according to Debian), so pine is distributed
as a source package only.  Do:
cd /usr/local/src # or /usr/src, or wherever
apt-get build-deps pine
apt-get source --build pine
dpkg -i pine_4.44-7_i386.deb pine-tracker_4.44-7_i386.deb [... and
whatever else you want]

--
#define X(x,y) x##y