[nSLUG] KDE with Mozilla/Netscape bug

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Mar 5 00:18:28 AST 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 10:25:09PM -0400, Donald Teed wrote:

> Jigdo is one thing about Debian that has failed me.
> I've tried both the Windows (DOS) and Linux clients
> and neither could suceed to download the parts to build
> an ISO image file.  The DOS client crapped out with document
> not found errors, and I repeatedly saw "Arghh!  This shouldn't
> happen" errors on Linux.  I gave up after farting around
> with that for a few hours and did an install via the
> network.

 Definitely the way to go unless you have a dialup modem.

> The other surprise for me was going through the package
> selection process in dselect.  I saw many items in there
> that I would not consider part of the operating
> system.  Individual perl modules and little apps
> like falselogin make the install process more time
> consuming to complete, and actually increase your chances
> of missing something you do need.

 Everything you _need_ to find and install new packages is marked as
"essential", and the pkg system will complain strenuously if you try to
remove anything essential.

> Thousands of
> packages isn't a good thing when the selection system
> is a rather flat tree.

 Yeah, I dislike that about the installer as well, but there is a
philosophical way out of this conundrum:  With a Debian system, it's so easy
to install new packages (if you have broadband or a set of CDs) that it
doesn't matter if you get all the packages at install time.  There's no
difference between installing a package during the install and doing it
later.  (It might be better to get a basic system installed before you
customize it by choosing exactly which packages you want, in case something
you forgot to do something that can't be rectified without rebooting and
redoing your selections.)

> There should be more levels of category and subcategory
> in the dselect interface, and some thought should go
> into having a section like "databases" that DB packages go
> under rather than "misc".

 That would be good.  Another problem is that some things are under "text",
some are under "utils", some are somewhere else, so it's not always easy to
see what's available.  Usually it works better to do something like
apt-cache search sql | less  and forget about the section: header if you
have a more specific idea what you're looking for.

> I can't imagine trying to
> use dselect as a Linux newbie!  Expanded descriptions in
> there would help, or a way to view the contents of
> the package (ala gnorpm).

 A GNU/Linux newbie should choose to select tasks, not individual packages,
and they can use aptitude once the system is installed.  It shows you the 1
or two paragraph package description with a split screen view, but there's
still no way to see the package contents.  (The Packages file doesn't have
the pkg contents, so the design of apt prevents it from showing you pkg
contents along with their info, without downloading the .deb)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y