[nSLUG] KDE with Mozilla/Netscape bug

jesse lawrence_jesse at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 4 17:11:24 AST 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 16:41, you wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 03:05:24PM -0400, jesse wrote:
> > I've got this annoying little problem, which started happening about a
> > month ago.  I'm currently using KDE for my desktop, and my browser of
> > choice is Mozilla.  Whenever I double click in the address bar of Mozilla
> > to enter a url or highlight any text on a webpage, and whenever I hit a
> > link that opens up in a new window, one of the KDE menus pops up and of
> > course takes the focus.  I then go to close the menu (it has a cancel
> > selection), at which point it trys to run Konqueror.  Talk about slowing
> > productivity.
>
> KDE has a helper that looks for URLs in any window and offers to launch a
> browser to view those URLs.  I forget the name of the helper, but it can be
> disabled (check your panel for anything that looks applicable).
>
> Ben

Thanks Ben, I tracked it down.  It's a little panel app called Klipper.  I
can't believe I didn't think of that.  Oh well, problem solved.  That's one
of my beefs with KDE.  It's a great desktop, but a lot of the little apps
that go along with it leave something to be desired.  They seem to impose
things on you.

I'm thinking it might be time to try a different distro.  Mandrake is nice if
you're just getting into Linux, but at this point I'd like a little more
control over just what's included in my system.  I'm thinking either Debian
or Gentoo.  Any thoughts?

--
Jesse Lawrence
Programmer, Audio Engineer, Web Developer and Musician

Sonic East Recording Studio
http://soniceast.sytes.net/