[nSLUG] Mozilla and Netscape

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Mar 4 00:36:18 AST 2003

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 09:32:20PM -0400, Vikram wrote:
> Are Mozilla and Netscape completely different suites or are they
> integrated at some point?  The web browser part of Mozilla is called
> Navigator and it shows the Netscape Navigator icon.

 Netscape 4.x is separate from Mozilla.  NS 6.x and later is Netscape's
packaging of the Mozilla code, but AFAIK "netscape" in common usage means
the closed-source netscape 4 and earlier, and not the mozilla based one.

> I already have Mozilla installed, however to access online banking I
> needed Netscape.

 TD works fine with Galeon, too bad your bank sucks.

> So I installed it and now I cant seem to find a
> shortcut to it.  I couldn't run it from commandline either ($
> netscape).  My preferred desktop environment is KDE.

 How did you install it?  If it was from an rpm or deb, get the package
manager to show you what files were part of the package, and look for stuff
in something/bin.  If you installed it yourself, then make sure wherever the
binaries are is in your PATH.  You might need to run netscape-4.73 (or
whatever version they're up to, make sure you have the latest, for
security.)  Tab completion is useful for that.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y