[nSLUG] Eastlink & Aliant Connections on One Machine

Rory Bray rory at vudu.nb.ca
Sat Mar 1 09:50:22 AST 2003

I assume what you're trying to do is use both connections at the same time,
either for speed or reliability?

I don't think you're going to be able to make this work.  What I'm
describing is colocation, often used in webserving farms etc.  The trouble
is that in order for it to work, both ISPs need to recognize your Linux box
by the same IP.   Then their routers will both send traffic to and from the
single IP address.

Residential networks like Aliant's DSL and Eastlink's cable aren't well
suited to this sort of thing.  I don't know what Eastlink offers for
business classes of service, but that's what you'd need from Aliant in order
to have them set up custom routing.   This is considerably more expesive, of
course.