[nSLUG] Mandrake 9.0 same problem

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Fri Mar 21 10:50:28 AST 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, [ISO8859_1] Réjean Chamberland wrote:

> Hi again!
> Guess what? I still can't get the graphics mode even if I installed Mandrake 9.0 with a Acer 77C monitor.
> Before I started last week to install Linux on my 2nd hard drive on a Penthium II, 500 Mhz with Windoze on the primary hard drive, I went (as Donald suggested later) to the Mandrake web site and looked for hardware support and noticed that my 15" KDS monitor VS 550 wasn't mentioned but the 55 and the 550 versions were, so I had assumed my model would also be. I had made sure my S3 Trio video card was supported. Ok! No go!

What do you mean by "no go"?  It isn't supported?

The most important thing to have supported for X Windows is
the video card.  You need to have a driver available which
will handle your video card or you can't put one pixel up there.
The monitor will be supported as long as it is VGA or SVGA - you
just have to tweak the configuration to get the
best resolution, frequency and color depth your monitor can handle.

When I suggested going to Mandrake to check your hardware, I didn't
mean to say that all hardware on the system will impact the XFree86 server.
Say your zip drive wasn't listed, well then the zip drive might
not work, or perhaps it was never tested or documented for Mandrake.
No impact on something like X-Windows.

> So here comes Mandrake 9.0!!! Same problem! Alas! So I switched monitors, unplugged the Iomega external 100Mb zip drive which wasn't mentionned for Mandrake 8.0 (once again, assumed it was ok!) but is on the right list for 9.0 and the Epson Stylus 400 printer which was tested and performed more than adequately during a test and to be as safe as I can be I also unplugged and removed my old scanner's card ( should i unstall the software?)

What is the error when you run startx?

> Previously Peter wrote:
> >The X server is a program, so the important stuff is in >/usr, not in /etc.
> >(Config files and not much else goes in /etc.)  For XFree86 >4.x, the server is
> >/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.  For version 3.x, there were >different server
> >programs for different video cards, such as >usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3 or
> >/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA.  (The executables depend on lots >of libraries and
> >loadable modules, but if you've just installed things from >RPMs, everything
> >else will be there if the executables are.)  If none of >those binaries
> >exist, you'll need to install some RPMs.
>
> Well I can finally see the  XF86_SVGA file and for the first time (except for the RedHat 6.2 install) I saw the XFree86 package showing up during install.I cannot, however, see any configuration made into it. I can see for example:
> ==append: to filename to view the binary file
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> libfont.so.1
> AddfontNamesName
> GetGlyphs
> RemoveCachedFontPattern
>
> but no settings anywhere.

I think what Peter meant was that for the required binaries, you look
in /usr/X11R6/bin to see if the X server software was installed.  There
is no configuration in there.  /bin means "this is where binaries live",
and you can run applications there, but most of them are related to
use once startx has sucessfully gotten off the ground.

Your configuration file is likely in /etc/X11/XF86Config (add a -4 to
that name if you have version 4 of XFree86).  What did you use
to configure the X11 setup before?  I thought you were able to
get that done and have X up at one point in the past.  Whatever
this application is for Mandrake, take note of it and don't forget it.

According to this page:

Configuring X From the Console
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/doc/90c/en/Starter.html/ch11s10.html

you use XFdrake as user root to configure your X settings.

If it isn't available, you are either not logged in as root
or you are missing the Mandrake package to use XFree86 (but it
sounds like you've got it).

The video card should be no question in the configuration.  The monitor
should be something you start off as a conservative setting if you
are having problems getting it to work.  Try 640x480 for example.
If that works, run the configuration tool again and try 800x600
and so on until you have a resolution that makes sense for your
monitor.  As a general guideline, 15 inch monitors should not exceed
800x600 or 1024x768 at best. 17 inch monitors should be good at 1024x768
or 1152x864 or perhaps 1280x1024.

This tool should ask you if you want to test your configuration.
Please say yes!  This gives you a way to verify it quickly and
if there are problems, you have not committed to making changes.