[nSLUG] monitor question

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Wed Mar 19 13:40:57 AST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, [ISO8859_1] Réjean Chamberland wrote:
> Hi Peter!
> Thanks for your reply. First thing first. Last night I installed a French version of RedHat 6.2 which fits on a single CD and after testing the graphic aspect 2 or 3 times unsuccessfully I changed the resolution to 800 X 640 and VOILA. I could be in graphic mode. After a few reboots I couldn't remember what to tell Lilo to go back to Windoze (which was on my first hard drive) which worried me a lot and I also wanted to see if Mandrake 8.0 would finally agree to move into graphic mode so I reinstalled it, making sure that I chose a generic SVGA 800X640, to no avail. The good part about it is that having not much to work with (considering my poor knowledge anyway) I can keep on learning and practicing Vi and EMACS (I don't have PICO installed however).

I wouldn't go through the torture of learning both emacs and vi as
a beginner.  Take one for now.  It would be like learning both
French and German to take a vacation in Switzerland when
only one would do the trick.

> The 2 things that puzzle me the most are that Redhat 6.2 (I haven't tried the 6.0 version which I also have) and Mandrake 7.1 (only once however) work but the 2 versions of Mandrake 8.0 won't. Any thoughts?

In general (this applies to Windows too) an operating system will
be more compatible with hardware which was current at the time
of the version in question.  There are older machines that won't
run Redhat 8 nor Windows XP well, but will do fine with Redhat 6.2
or Windows 98 and can be patched with lots of fixes and security
improvements.

To do this properly, the procedure is that before you even think
of installing the OS, you consult the OS manufacturer's hardware
requirements list and check that you have compatibility for your
key hardware.  In some cases you need to know the nitty gritties about
the chipset and chipset version to verify it is compatible.

In the case of Mandrake, on the home page there is a link to
Supported Hardware on the left side column.  It brings you
to a form you can use to search for compatibility status.
I found it worked best when Hardware Category was left as ALL
and I specified the Manufacturer.

Likewise, other distributions have hardware compatibility
or system requirements databases on line that you can search for
any particular hardware you intend to use with Linux.
Going by the distribution's status should be most accurate
as it will reflect that they have tested it with their
distro and someone has verified it will work.